MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND FOREST
New Delhi, the 26th August, 1998
S.O. 732(E)—Whereas certain draft rules further to amend the Experiments on Animals (Control and Supervision) Rules, 1968, was published as required by sub-section (1) of section 17 of the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals Act, 1960 (59 of 1960) under the notification of the Government of India in the Ministry of Environment and Forests vide number S.O.44(E) dated, the 15th January, 1998, inviting objections and suggestions from all persons likely to be affected thereby before the expiry of a period of 30 days from the date on which the copies of the Gazette containing the said notification are made available to the public;
And whereas the said Gazette was made available to the public on 15th January, 1998;
And whereas the objections and suggestions received from the public on the said draft rules have been duly considered by the Committee.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 17 of the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals Act, 1960 (59 of 1960), the Committee for control and supervision of experiments on animal hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Experiments on Animals (control and Supervision) Rules, 1968, namely:-
1. (1) These rules may be called the Experiments on Animals (controls and Supervision) (Amendment) Rules, 1998.
(2) The Shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Experiments on Animals (controls and Supervision) Rules, 1968,
- in rule 2, after clause (c), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:-
- after rule 4, the following rule shall be inserted, namely:-
(d) "Animal-control authority", used with reference to an animals, includes any public or private authority, shelter or pound in possession or custody of the animal;
"4A, Restriction on sale, etc., of animals for experiments.
- No officer, employee or agent of any animal-control authority shall sell, give, transfer, trade, supply or otherwise provide any animal coming into his or her possession to nay animal dealer, commercial kennel, pet shop, laboratory, educational institution or other scientific, biomedical or veterinary purposes.
- No hospital, educational institution, laboratory or any person shall purchase or accept any dog or cat not purposely bred for research from any animal-control authority, commercial kennel or animal dealer for use in research product development, testing, education, biologicals production, or other scientific, biomedical, or veterinary purpose."
SARWESHWAR JHA. Jt. Secy.
Note,—The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India vide Number S.O. 2476 dated 13-7–1968 and subsequently amended vide No.5-1/68/INS dated 14-9-1968.1